Friday, May 29, 2015

LIving a Half- Life Part 2

       Yoko Ono, Half-A-Room, 1967

For many of us, struggling with codependency is a familiar way of life.  It is how we know to function in a relationship.  This makes it difficult to step outside the relationship and look in so that we might recognize challenges to our selfhood. 

Here are some questions to explore:

Do I avoid going places by myself?  If I do go somewhere by myself are my thoughts/actions directed toward the person not present?  (For example, texting, leaving voice messages)

Do I feel a sense of guilt just thinking about engaging in an activity by myself that would help me to develop a new talent, gain knowledge, learn a new skill, etc?

After I engage in an activity that fulfills my own needs/wants do I then do something for the other person as a way to ‘make up’ for taking care of myself?

Do I experience emotional discomfort/anxiety when my ideas, opinions, perspectives, contrast with the other person’s?

Have connections outside my primary relationship diminished in quality and/or quantity?

The purpose of these questions is not to beat ourselves up or to blame others.  By simply asking them, we are taking that courageous step which marks the beginning of any journey toward self-change- BECOMING SELF-AWARE.
In the next chapter, we will explore how to begin to make small changes in our relationship that support ‘wholeness’.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Passion

Along with my desire and commitment to helping individuals find peace and
fulfillment in their relationships is a passion for art. While creative expression can and has been a reflection of the struggles of a society,
it can also be a reflection of the inner struggle of an individual artist. The
expression of that struggle has the potential to inspire self-exploration and
positive change in the lives of others. May this blog bring that potential
to you and your relationships.